We earn a commission for products purchased through some links in this article.
Know someone who is addicted to cheese? They’ll love to crack this open…
This cheese advent calendar from Food blog So Wrong It’s Nom, will ‘brie’ the perfect countdown to Christmas for those who love fromage.
Forget beauty advent calendars, if you or someone you know, always chooses a cheeseboard from the dessert menu then this gift is for them! Who else thinks this would pair perfectly with wine, or even a one of our favourite gin advent calendars?
The edible Christmas countdown features nine cheeses this year – including spicy Mexicana, Ilchester mature Cheddar and Applewood Vintage PDO.
The fun tasting advent calendar is available from Sainsbury’s, Lidl, Waitrose, Morrisons, Ocado, Booths and Amazon UK from early November.
It contains 24 individually wrapped portions of delicious cheese, encased in a fully recyclable, fridge-door-friendly cardboard calendar.
The cheese advent calendar flavours in full:
- Applewood – Made in the West Country from British cheddar, a delicate smoky flavour and smooth texture, all finished with a dusting of paprika.
- Applewood Vintage PDO Aged for 12 months – made from hand-turned farmhouse Cheddar. A smoky flavour with an exquisitely smooth, rich creaminess that melts in the mouth. Creamy yellow in colour, finished with a sprinkling of paprika.
- Ilchester Derby with Sage – Derby is one of England’s oldest and most famous cheeses. Finely chopped sage was added as early as the 17th century, as it was thought to carry health benefits.
- Ilchester Mature Cheddar – Ilchester’s Cheddar comes from the West Country, close to where Cheddar originated in the Mendip Hills. Let the creaminess melt into your mouth, with its earthy tangy notes.
- Ilchester Double Gloucester – This is a hard cheese with a savoury, mellow flavour. It’s also the famous cheese rolled down Coopers Hill for the UK’s most extreme cheese race!
- Ilchester Red Leicester – Smooth and nutty.
- Ilchester Aged Red Leicester – This traditional English cheese has been carefully matured for a minimum of nine months giving it a distinguishable smooth, tangy and nutty taste.
- Mexicana – A fiery mix of bell, jalapeño and chilli peppers, carefully blended with traditional British Cheddar and a secret mix of Mexican spices.
- Ilchester Vintage PDO Cheddar – Carefully matured, this cheddar is made in the West Country near the Mendip Hills. With a drier texture to standard cheddar due to the maturing process, there are sometimes crunchy calcium crystals.
Who is behind the cheese advent calendar?
The calendar is in it’s third year thanks to it’s creator food blogger Annem Hobson, 31, from London, who runs food blog So Wrong It’s Nom.
She created the UK’s first ever cheese advent in 2016 as she was frustrated at the lack of festive cheese offerings at the supermarkets.